Our fun and rapidly growing client in Seattle is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager that is passionate about delivering exceptional products and services.
In addition to the qualifications for engineering manager role listed below, the ideal will have significant experience with financial reporting systems.
Your job is to make the engineers you manage happy and productive by removing roadblocks, and delivering projects on-time and at the desired quality level. Engineering managers act as the interface point between product management and engineering and between individual engineers and the rest of engineering management.
You will work closely with the tech leads you manage to ensure your roadmaps and schedule are up-to-date and help them deliver those projects on-time. You will take feedback from around the team, with special focus on the tech leads input, when writing reviews and helping to mentor and grow the team members you work with. Finally, you will be the first line of technical expertise when PMs or others come to you with new projects, leaning on the tech leads for more low-level expertise of their area as needed.
You are responsible for:
- Driving the hiring and onboarding process
- Mentoring and developing engineers on your team, including writing annual reviews
- Working with product to balance and prioritize new features with internal projects
- Coordinating projects with cross-team dependencies
- Managing project delivery through daily standup and planning activities, including driving daily standups and reporting status back to PMs and senior management.
- Building and adhering to a schedule, accounting for vacation and other drivers of schedule variations
- Communicating project status and issues to external stakeholders
The day-to-day work of an engineering manager consists of:
- Weekly 1-hour one-on-ones with his or her direct reports
- Grooming and maintenance of team backlogs with the tech leads' support
- Working with PMs and tech leads to ensure project requirements are detailed and complete
- Reviewing resumes and performing initial candidate technical evaluations
- Onboarding new hires
- Coordinating story estimation and scheduling (e.g., through points poker).
- Maintaining a schedule or Gantt chart of projects
- Experience with large-scale consumer-facing web sites is required, and experience with two-sided marketplace businesses is a major
- Experience with or similar: AWS, Python / Django, Docker, Elastic Search
- 3+ years experience managing individual contributors
- Degree in CS, STEM or equivalent experience.