Job Title: Metallurgy Engineering Manager
Xtreme Consulting Group is currently recruiting for a Metallurgy Engineering Manager. This is a direct hire role in Portland, OR. If you feel you have the required skills and experience, please apply.
BUSINESS CONTRIBUTION: Our client is responsible for a global shared service lab. The primary responsibilities include Lab management, including direction and leadership for the team. The role has responsibility for resource planning (equipment & people for product testing for internal customers), documentation of operational standards and assuring adequate reporting and documentation of testing is completed.
• Implement policies/operational standards/quality systems
• Suggest and implement major lab process improvement opportunities as well as Capital improvements • Assure compliance of laboratory facilities with relevant Safety standards
• Maintain and report department-indicators; manage maintenance contracts
• Coordinate and conduct department audits such as 5S, calibration records, documentation retention and Hazard analysis assessments.
• Ensure department works within budget and forecast expenses accurately
• Accurately assess strengths and developmental needs of personnel, providing helpful coaching and feedback, challenging assignments, and career development opportunities
• Manage projects that generally involve objectives with high impact on laboratory services or research important to the Company to meet the goals & objectives of the product line and strategic plans.
• Provide support for miscellaneous product and process problems related to specification, failure analysis, production down time, or quality deviations in order to expedite production to schedule, assure product quality, and to support customer/user needs.
• Consultation, materials specifications, process parameters, and nonconforming product disposition
• Represent as technical contact for vendors and suppliers in order to accomplish product line and functional objectives, and constantly improve technical knowledge base.
• Communicate technical concepts and information in non-technical, easily understandable terms; convey information clearly and effectively through both formal and informal documents.
• Create an atmosphere in which timely and high quality information flows smoothly between oneself and others; encourage the open expression of ideas and opinions
EDUCATION: • Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited program, with emphasis in material science or metallurgical engineering or equivalent, required.
• Master’s degree desirable.
• Five or more years of experience in engineering, three or more years in technical management, and strong project management skills
• Strong and broad understanding of raw material manufacturing, raw material specifications and application, and manufacturing technology, particularly related to heat treat, chemistry, surface finishing, and test and measurement technology related to metallurgy and product test
• Ability to motivate and direct staff members and subordinates
• Demonstrated budget planning and maintenance skills
• Good understanding of materials selection and heat treatment of steels
• Solve problems analytically; search out relevant information and gauge its importance when making decisions
• Effective written and oral communication skills; able to express oneself clearly and in technical and non-technical terms
• Collaborative and effective team player and able to work with teams who are globally dispersed
• Set a good example of personal integrity
• Demonstrate ability and willingness to learn; seek out development activities to improve skills and increase knowledge; learn from other team members and own mistakes
• Take initiative, seek and act on opportunities to improve organization performance
• Ability to translate specific goals into action and follow through to achieve goals
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel) and data management software (SAP preferred)
• Available to work on site as required by job
• Eligible for domestic and international travel several times per year up to two weeks’ in duration