Sr. Software Engineer, Tools & Performance
Duties & Responsibilities
- Design a performance lab and framework that ensure products perform at best in breed speed for current commercial traffic rates and expected future rates.
- Develop a performance and limitation reporting structure that enables Support, Marketing, and Sales to respond to customer questions and challenge claims made by competitors
- Push engineering to find more efficient ways to meet our customers’ expectations before our customers experience these bottlenecks.
- Own the numbers. Articulate and know the performance numbers and test methodology necessary to generate those numbers for all parts of the platform, from user interaction and data extraction, to to traffic processing and metric collection.
- Use a mix of manual and automated test methodologies to ensure that the platform operates well in various customer environments.
- Use OSS tools to generate different client types, system loads, or traffic patterns to simulate customer environments.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in computer science, computer engineering, or information technology.
- 5+ years professional software development experience in a Unix-based environment.
- 2+ years building performance and automation test tools and frameworks.
- Experience developing tools to test system and user experience performance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking.
- Experience using and managing virtual and cloud infrastructure.
- Familiarity with containers or docker technologies.
- Familiarity with embedded systems or other syste-ms-level development.
- Solid understanding of the OSI model and excellent working knowledge of the key protocols from Layer 2 through Layer 7 including ARP, IP, TCP, UDP, and HTTP.