Job Title: Sr. Software QA Analyst
The Software Quality Assurance Analyst facilitates the design, establishment and adherence to Software Quality Assurance (SQA) programs and projects in the development and implementation of IT applications and technology. Acts as advisor to internal IT staff and clients. Assists line of business staff with implementation, performs/leads audits/self-assessments, and facilitates continued improvement. Reviews application requirements definition, analysis, design, construction, testing and implementation plans for completeness and that change and configuration control procedures are documented and followed for changes to existing applications. Ensures new and existing systems and data have been appropriately inventoried and categorized and conform to industry standard configuration control procedures. Identifies SQA business issues and problems and either recommends solutions or assists in the development of solutions. Leads or participates as project member on application development projects and/or SQA committees. Trains users on how to follow acceptable software and data configuration control procedures. May provide guidance to less experienced staff. Breadths of applications span all business/engineering applications within area of assignment. Breadth of technical skills includes databases in client/server architectures, to middleware in distributed systems, to web-based systems, to cross platform interfaces, et.al. Software Quality Assurance services include consultation for the full life-cycle from implementation of new systems (analysis, design, construction, or acquisition, testing, production installation, training, documentation and integration with existing systems) to maintenance of existing systems (systems enhancements, corrective maintenance, query support and general customer support). Must Demonstrate a high level of SME (subject matter expertise) in order to functionally support and translate requirements in order to guide and mentor business area and Information Technology to compliance and best practice solutions.
A Bachelor’s degree in Business, IT or other related field from an accredited college or university plus six (6) years progressively responsible experience in application systems development and integration services. In lieu of bachelor’s degree, combination of college coursework and experience in application systems development and integration services equaling ten (10) years is required. Advanced knowledge of software life cycle, software quality assurance methods, testing methodologies and configuration control processes. Comprehensive understanding of system methodologies, architectures, environments, technical/software specifications, programming languages and query tools. Technical expertise with a variety of databases such as SQL 2000, Oracle, etc. Demonstrated ability to apply SQA knowledge to various issues within specific lines of business. Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills. Project management experience preferred. Knowledge and understanding of technical manuals preferred.
1) SQA Practices responsibilities include:
- Ensures all Strategic and Operation Projects meet the highest Quality Implementation(s) by following and recognizing Industry Standards and Best Practices.
- Establishes Standards for application processes including but not limited to: a) programming, b) technical documentation, c) naming conventions, d) security, e) back-up and e) recovery.
- Ensures adherence by the Application Development and Support groups to; a) formal processes, b) standards and d) total quality practices in all activities for the areas of; 1) Application Development, 2) SaaS and 3) COTS application software projects and deliverables.
- Ensures the performance of audits and self-assessments to facilitate continued improvement of SQA programs.
2) SQA Structure Development and Implementation responsibilities include:
- Develops, implements, establishes and maintains SQA programs to ensure that all Information Systems’ products and services meet minimum Company Standards and end User requirements.
- Recognizes, identifies and devises improvements to current standards or potential areas where existing standards require change, or where new ones need to be developed and provide models of change for possible future configurations.
- Coordinates and facilitates the development and support of Administrative controls, Business practices and Departmental procedures.
- Experience in identifying, explaining and suggesting corrective actions when analyzing performance metrics in order to comply with Business, System or Technical requirements.
3) QA Leadership responsibilities include:
- Provides guidance and direction to less experienced staff.
- Ensures effective communication and negotiation/resolution of conflicts.
- Provides business expertise and performs as liaison to the end User, IS Development teams, and SQA committees.
- Provides new product evaluation and support through the collaboration with User groups and IS staff.
- Provides technical leadership to programming staff including being conversant with future direction of development tools and how the direction taken by applications will impact the enterprise.
- Trains Users on how to follow acceptable ‘Software and Data Configuration’ control procedures.
- Reviews the following documents for completeness (including but not limited to); new application requirements, system analysis, product design, application construction, test plans and implementation plans.
- Ensures that ‘Change and Configuration’ control procedures, in compliance with Industry Standards, are documented for projects; a) established and used in new applications and b) followed in changes to existing systems.
- Coordinates project test plans and/or executes tests for all phases; a) integration, b) system, c) load/stress/performance, d) regression and e) User Acceptance across multiple Business lines in support of IS Support and Development groups.
- Identifies and documents software issues and problems while interacting with the Support and Development staff to isolate and resolve testing issues.
- Documents and evaluates test results to determine compliance with; a) test plans, b) established Business processes, c) company standards and d) end user requirements.
- Presents findings to client groups along with recommendations to implement or delay implementation.
- Coordinates turnover for all sign-off documents; a) life cycle documents, b) standards, and c) Quality Close-Out and or Metrics.
4) QA Leadership Duties:
- Participates with Vendors in the assessment of application systems, development tools, and database production systems.
- Works closely with vendor SQA departments to ensure software vendor's compliance with SQA procedures.
- Obtains Certificate of Compliance of vendor's procedures to comply with Industry development Guidelines and Standards.
- Makes recommendations to superiors regarding the acquisition and/or implementation of software to increase Information Systems efficiency
- May coordinate and modify, as appropriate, selected IS ‘Software Procurement’ contract specifications.