TEALS (Technology Education And Literacy in Schools, http://www.tealsk12.org), is an industrywide effort to bring computer science education to every high school in the country. TEALS recruits, mentors, and places high tech professionals as 1st period volunteer computer science teachers, partnered with classroom teachers. TEALS is going into its 6th year, growing to over 170+ partner schools reaching over 6,000 students across over 20 states. Our ultimate aim is to make CS as ubiquitous as biology, chemistry, and physics at all American high schools.
TEALS is looking for candidates to fill the role of regional manager for the 2015?16 school year, based in the San Francisco Bay area, Phoenix, Seattle, Virginia, and TBD northeast.
TEALS is seeking a candidate with an entrepreneurial spirit and is passionate about CS education in high schools to grow and scale the program in this region.
The regional manager is responsible for the region specific management and implementation of TEALS including, but not limited to:
- Technical recruiting and relationship management
- Recruit TEALS volunteer teachers. Speak at companies, conferences.
- Build and maintain relationship with tech companies, and grassroots recruitment of engineering volunteers.
- Interview and placement of volunteers within the region as well as management of volunteers.
- Understanding of technology industry and work environment.
- School relationship management
- Recruit, vet, and onboard schools.
- Maintain relationship with school district administrators, school building principals, counselors, schools, foundation, and in?service teachers.
- Grow importance of CS education within region school community.
- Teacher training and mentoring
- Training and mentoring of volunteers working with education partners.
- Visits to sites and feedback to volunteers.
- Local teacher cohort sessions.
- School year support of volunteers.
- Program management and operations
- Day to day running of region including budgeting and execution of program against regional plan.
- Drive student excitement for CS education for students, schools, and volunteers with events and incentives.
- Regional nonprofit relationships.
The ideal candidate will have a background in CS with either a major or minor. Additionally, the candidate should have some classroom teaching experience and understanding of the school system and ability to navigate it.
The position will also require familiarity with the technology industry. Finally, the candidate should either have previous management experience or demonstrate potential to manage and lead.
Salary for this role will be based on candidate experience.